“It is in your moments of decision that your destiny is shaped”
This year Xavier’s Commerce Society brings forth the 7th
edition of Commerce Department’s annual journal YOUTHINK
with the theme titled as “The Gamble”.
Although Gamble is an act of undertaking risk in the hope of a
favourable outcome, it can be looked upon as the force that is
driving the human race to achieve the unachievable. Gambling is the
making of “choices” that moulds our destiny. It is an immutable
process in business, politics and economy. The world is driven by
“decisions” where what we “choose” ultimately shapes our future.
Every leader has played the game of “gamble” to earn their standing
in the rat race to success. It is these ‘ultimate choices’ that
have set apart leaders from followers. “Nothing ventured, nothing
gained” is the philosophy behind a strategic gamble and is the sole
purpose of existence of businesses today. Youthink in its 7th
volume will attempt to reveal the myriad facets of Gamble.|
would like to invite all the B.Com students who are interested in
contributing articles on the theme, to send in articles on any of
the following topics-
Business and Entrepreneurship
- The World’s a Market and all the Businessmen are
Marketers- what strategies will the brands ‘BET’ on next to
- Indians Making International- the future of Indian
Entrepreneurs- how will Indian entrepreneurs compete against the
global players and secure their position among the top global
- E-Business in India- Is it too big a risk? - How will
domestic players keep up with foreign E-businesses?
- Drivers of the Capital, Forex and Commodity markets across
the globe- What gamble are the players (big or small) playing
in these modernized and highly competitive markets to thrive and
- The Wagering Industry- What are the forward and
backward linkages of this industry on the society and the
- Bio-fuels - Gen next of Petrol- With the constant
threat of fossil fuels getting exhausted looming large, isn’t it
high time that the automobile industry take a “gamble” for the
- Knowledge Engineering and Cloud computing- the gamble
of investing and introducing new technologies does not come
cheap! So are the investments worth it?
- The Forum of the Modern Age- What gamble did the
founders of Facebook and Twitter play to emerge as the “epitome”
of social networking to getting listed on the NYSE?
- Can the glass ceiling ever be truly breached? – Are
women still struggling to be heard in the boardroom? Can this
“unofficial barrier” to proficiency and advancement affecting
women and other minority group be broken?
- Corporate Social Responsibility - The Ultimate Cliché
Or cause related branding the new fad?
Economy and Politics
- Macro that influences Micro- What gambles are the
micro-economic agents playing to survive the volatile
- Rating agencies and their flings - Is it too big a
“Gamble” by the investors dependent on rating agencies for
nations to handle?
- The Budget Gamble – Will the strategies of the
government be a good gambit or will it lead to a worse economic
- The Identity Crisis in Rural India- The government has
invested huge capital in projects such as AADHAR (unique
identification cards) and National Population Register. Is this
“gamble” worth being taken?
- The ‘Vodafone Amendment’ Gamble- What gamble will the
Government of India play next?
- INDIA- A Democracy or a mere Kleptocracy? – Is the
gamble of having a ‘democratic form of government’ good enough
for our country?
- Sports “Who is Investing in Whom?”- The decisions of
the investors and the sponsors to invest in various sports.
- The future of Sports in India - Will India’s dream to
enter the FIFA still remain a dream? What “Gamble” are the
businessmen and government going to play to shape the future of
sports in India?
- IPL- Indian Premier League or Indian Parlay League? -
Is the essence of cricket slowly being replaced with wagering?
Can the growing power of the BCCI be checked and to what extent
can we leave it unchecked?
- The Commonwealth Games – was it a gamble the Indian
economy could afford when 25% of the population resides below the
Entertainment and Media
- The Media and its Moves- Is the media ‘the mirror of
the society’ or is it just a cliché? Is it safe to trust the
media or is it a ‘gamble’?
- The Film Industry- What's Next? - The gambles that the
producers and the film industry are playing to innovate and
implement new technologies in the industry.
- The Evolution of Gaming- “A cathode ray tube amusement
device” to a “Play Station 3”- What gamble did the videogames
industry play to create this distinct new platform in sports and
what are its future prospects?
- Democracy in the Middle East- A possibility or a
distant dream? –Is it a gamble worth taking to vouch for
democracy in a region which has never known political openness,
respect for human rights and transparency?
- SOPA and PIPA- how did the “gamble” of the US
- The Covert War- battle of the intelligence agencies-
The activities and impact of the Intelligence agencies and their
day to day “gamble” to maintain national security and global
- The Balance of Power- the East vs. the West- Will the
west remain at the apex or will the east succeed in their
- The Greek Gamble- How can the titan of the modern age
“The Debt” be vanquished? What gambles are the “Olympians”
planning to play to restore peace in Greece and in the rest of
- The New Face of North Korea- What surprise does the new
Supreme Leader of North Korea Kim Jong Un have in store for the
World? Will the Government of North Korea play too big a “gamble”
for the world to handle?
- The Wiki Leaks and the whistleblowers – How risky are
- Other international affairs can be analysed not
necessarily related to the theme.
The following topics can also be analysed-
- The Gambler vs. The Smart Gambler- What are the factors that
differentiate successful entrepreneurs from unsuccessful ones?
How would you play the “game of gamble” to become successful?
- One man’s profit is another man’s loss- A velvet situation
for a business (or an economy) in the present is bound to lead to
a destitute future unless proper planning and strategies are
chalked out. How do we balance ourselves?
- Is Businessman’s business is only “Business”?
- Development vs. Sustainability- Which to bet on?
- E-Books- The kryptonite of Publishing- Will E-Books eradicate
Publishing in time to come?
- On companies who have revived after a change in the marketing
or characteristics of their failed products or services. What
“gamble” did they play? How successful were they?
- TATA STEEL, Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, E-choupal by
- Analysis and comparison of the performance of different
states can be done. Positive implementations and changes in the
states can also be highlighted, for example- Gujarat’s success
story and the role of positive administration brought in by
[The students are also free to write on any other business/
non-business related topics not necessarily related to the theme]
- The deadline for the submission of articles is 10th
- The word limit for an article- Minimum-1200 words,
Maximum- 2000 words.
For further queries contact-
Dipayan Dey +918961848459
Parth Poddar +919836347641
Charu Singh +919163677605