French is a world language and more than 220 million people speak French on the five continents. French is the second most widely learned foreign language after English, and the sixth most widely spoken language in the world. French is also the only language, alongside English, that is taught in every country in the world.
It is a language for the job market and the ability to speak French and English is an advantage on the international job market. As the world’s fifth biggest economy and third-ranking destination for foreign investment, France is a key economic partner.
Speaking French opens up study opportunities at
renowned French universities and business schools,
ranked among the top higher education institutions
in Europe and the world.
French is both a working language and an official language of the United Nations, the European Union, UNESCO, NATO, the International Olympic Committee, the International Red Cross and international courts. French is the language of the three cities where the EU institutions are headquartered: Strasbourg, Brussels and Luxembourg.
French is the international language of cooking, fashion, theatre, the visual arts, dance and architecture. While France is also the world’s top tourist destination and attracts more than 79,5 million visitors a year.
Keeping in mind the target audience, the scope of
study introduces the student to linguistic knowledge
set against aspects of the French socio-cultural
The objective of this course is to make sure that
after completion, students are able to interact
effectively in French with a focus on practical
This course will provide students with a fundamental understanding of the French language in several core competencies, along with As well as gaining a fundamental understanding of the French language. This course will provide the student with tools to understand cultural differences and the basics of intercultural communication with a focus on the French/Francophone culture.
- Introduction /Getting by in French
The five areas of assessment are: listening, reading, spoken interaction, spoken production, and writing.
- Listening: The student can recognize familiar words and very basic phrases concerning themselves, their family and immediate concrete surroundings.
- Reading: The student can understand familiar names, simple sentences and short texts, for example on notices or posters or in catalogues.
- Spoken Interaction: The student can interact in a simple way; the student can ask and answer simple questions in areas of immediate need or on familiar topics.
- Spoken Production: The student can use simple phrases and sentences to describe where he or she lives and describe people and places.
- Writing: The student can fill in forms with
personal details, can write a short, simple
postcard, for example sending holiday greetings,
and gradually learn to communicate information
and ideas in French.
Undergraduate students or graduates in any discipline
4 months (60 Hrs.)
Course commencing from
Rs. 8,000/- + Registration Fees of Rs. 200/- to be paid at the time of admission.
Class days and Timing
Tuesday and Thursday (5pm -7pm)
For complete beginners
Admission Procedure and Payment of Fees [Direct Enrolment]:
Step 1: Submission of online Registration Forms.
- Printing facility is required while filling up this online form.
- Please read the instruction in the registration form and Admission form with care.
- Application forms are available online only through this website.
- No printed form will be issued by the College
- Online application facilities will be made available in the College strictly for those who do not have access to internet.
After successful online submission please note down your Application Number for further reference.
Use login Link for:
- Paying Application and Course Fee Online
- Printing Online Payment Receipt
- Checking Application Registration and Payment Status
- Printing Admission Form (on Paying Application and Course Fee)
Step 2: Payment of Registration Fees & 1st Installment of Course Fee (Online)
- Payment for Admission can be made online using a CREDIT CARD / NET BANKING.
- Alternatively, students may come to the college and make payment using their DEBIT CARD
- Registration Fees and 1st Installment of Course Fee are to be paid by using online payment method and submit generated Admission form along with necessary documents to the College office (Room No. 7) within 4 working days.
- The College Fees will be accepted only online through Credit Card, Debit Card or Net Banking. Those who seek admission to the College should ensure that they are equipped and conversant with the online payment system.
Step 3: Admission Process
- Submission of Application form (generated through website) along with necessary documents to the College office (Room No. 7) within 4 working days.
- Eligible candidates may get direct admission
subject to the fulfillment of norms and
availability of seats.
Payment of fees does not confirm admission. The admission will be confirmed only after physical verification of eligibility and relevant documents
Online Payment FAQ
- Online Payment Assistance: For any assistance regarding online payment, call Kolkata Bill Desk Office between 10 am and 5 pm on all working days on the following numbers : 033-4003 5101 I 02 I 03 I 04
- In case of non-receipt of the "online payment receipt" through the College Website, even after the completion of the payment process, the student is advised to verify with the concerned bank before attempting a repayment. However, if your account has been debited, contact Office (Room 7) with your bank details to get your site updated, after which you will automatically get your receipt.
- Refund of Excess Fees Paid Online: In case
of any fees having been paid online more than
once, the payer is requested not to place any
Charge Back Request to their respective banks.
The excess payment will be refunded from the
Treasurer's office at St. Xavier's College as
soon as the payer places a request for the
refund in the Treasurer's office with the
documented evidence of the payment in question.
In case of any "Charge Back Request" is placed by the student to their respective Banks, then a processing charge as applicable will be recovered from the student.
Cancellation of Admission & Refund Policy
Your admission will be cancelled
- If the admission form is incomplete,
- If the supporting documents are not complete,
- If false documents have been submitted,
- If required educational qualifications are not fulfilled,
- If incorrect or wrong information is given,
- If the examinations are not passed from a recognised board.
Note: Admission once cancelled will not be re-considered and fee paid will not be refunded under any circumstances.