To get a visa for India, you need to submit a number of documents, which are
- Visa application form
- Passport, having a minimum validity of six months on the date of application.
- Two identical passport sized photographs
- Supporting documents, depending upon the type of visa
- Visa fee
Visitors also need a valid permit to visit certain restricted/protected areas. They must fill up their Disembarkation/ Embarkation cards on arrival/departure.
Foreigners visiting India, who hold long-term visas (more than 180 days), are required to obtain a Registration Certificate and Residential Permit from the nearest Foreigners’ Registration Office (FRRO) within 15 days of arrival.
The foreigners registered at FRRO are required to report change of their addresses. Certificates of registration issued by the Registration Officers should be surrendered to the immigration officer at the port/check post of exit from India.
Passengers embarking on journeys to any place outside India from a Customs airport / seaport are required to pay a Foreign Travel Tax (FTT) of Rs 500 to most countries and Rs 150 on journeys to Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Burma, Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and the Maldives.
All foreign students coming to India need to undergo a medical test for AIDS.
The Foreigners Regional Registration Office (FRRO) requires this test as a pre-requisite for obtaining the Residence Permit Form.
Students staying in India longer than 6 months are required to register with the Foreigners Regional Registration Office (FRRO). The following documents are required for registration:
- Photocopy of the passport and initial visa
- Four photographs of the applicant
- Details of residents in India
- HIV test report from one of the WHO recognised institutions for people in the age group of 15 to 60
- Bonafide certificate from the university/college/institution
- Proof of Bank Account/sufficient funds for non-scholarship students