All India Catholic University Federation (AICUF), is a students’ movement formed to
develop leadership skills and increase social awareness. Its motto is “We are born into
an unjust society and we are determined not to leave it as we have found it”. It
comprises 5 units and 2 state commissions. The AICUF West Bengal state coordinator is
Prof. Dr. Chalotte Simpson-Veigas and the coordinator of the Santhali Unit is Prof.
Aparijita Hembrom. The thrust areas include Dalits, Refugees, Adivasis and Women.
Headquarters: AICUF Secretariat, Room no. 108, Jubilee Building, Xavier’s College
State Team Members (2019-2020) :
- Sherin Johnson (State Convenor)
- Antoinette Shirley Anjana Leon (State Co-Convenor)
- Romi Shagun Baa (State Part-timer)
- Karan Joel Minz ( State Part-timer)
In the academic year of 2019-2020 major events organized by AICUF are as
- SWC Seminar with the theme of “Women Beyond Belief” was organized on 9th August 2019
which focused on discussing pertinent issues regarding women and religion.
- AYCM Seminar “Indivisible Indigenous” was organized with the theme “Rights,
Resources and Recognition”. The speakers for the seminar were Prof. Dr. Virginius
Xaxa and Mr. Anand Prakash Toppo.
- Spotlight 2019 was held on 8th September 2019. The theme of The Spotlight was
“Blending to Perfection” where a talent hunt was held for less privileged children
from different schools of Kolkata.
- Adivasi Diwas 2019 was held on 22nd October 2019 at St. Xavier’s Primary School,
Kolkata. The event aimed to invigorate and revitalize the innate spirit among the
AYCM West Bengal was also a part of the AYCM Silver Jubilee Celebration National Camp
organized in AICUF ashram Bhopal.
- State Puja Camp was scheduled from the 2nd to the 8th of October at Jisu Ashram,
Pandua. Along with a retreat session, several sessions were held on many social
issues such as Mental Health etc.
- ‘Suraksha’, was a seminar organized on the topic ‘Legal Possibilities against Sexual
Harassment’ conducted by Adv. B. Kerketta for female students. This was followed by
an introductory self-defense training session.
- Zoological Park Visit: AICUF West Bengal organized their annual picnic for the
children of Ghostomath village on the 23rd of January 2020.
- Adaya :The theme for the event was ‘Ghorir Kata’, which aimed to portray the
transverse of Bengali heritage and culture right from its inception.
- ‘Naari’: For the Women’s Day Celebration a visit to an Organization ‘Asha Rising’
was arranged on 14th of March 2020. An eye checkup camp was set up with Mr.
Soumyajit Jana as the presiding optometrist.
Along with these, AICUF also organized old age home visits, every Tuesday and Friday and
Village Visits to Ghostomath, every Sunday starting from the start of academic session
in the month of July. Mass celebrations were also organized for Ash Wednesday and feasts
such as St. Ignatius of Loyola Feast, and St. Francis Xavier.