NET & SET GUIDANCE CENTRE, 2020
NET examination is conducted twice every year, one in June and the other in December. The Council of Scientific & Industrial Research (CSIR) conducts joint CSIR UGC Test for Junior Research Fellowship and Eligibility for lectureship for candidates having master’s degree in humanities.
The candidates are having the opportunity for both Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) and lectureship or for the lectureship only.
NET is basically conducted all over the country. There is another examination which is conducted solely by the individual states and that examination is popularly known as SET (State Eligibility Test). The syllabus is same for NET & SET.
Eligibility: Candidates who have scored 55% marks (50% for SC / ST) in the Master’s Degree Examination are eligible to appear for the examination.
Age Limit: The upper age limit for the Junior Research Fellow (JRF) is 28 years. There is no upper age limit for lectureship.
The Test will consist of two papers. Both the papers will consist of only objective type questions
Paper-I shall consist of 50 objective type compulsory questions each carrying 2 marks. The
questions which will be of general nature, intended to assess the teaching/research aptitude of
the candidate. It will primarily be designed to test reasoning ability, comprehension, divergent
thinking and general awareness of the candidate.
Paper-II shall consist of 100 objective type compulsory questions each carrying 2 marks which
will be based on the subject selected by the candidate.
All the questions of Paper – II will be compulsory, covering entire syllabi of earlier Paper II &
Paper – III (including all electives, without options).
The candidate will have to mark the responses for questions of Paper – I & Paper – II on the
Optical Mark Reader (OMR) Sheet provided along with the test booklet.
Nationality: Candidates must be an Indian National
- Candidates who have secured at least 55% marks (without rounding off) in Master’s Degree OR equivalent examination from universities/institutions recognised by UGC (on the website: https://www.ugc.ac.in/oldpdf/consolidated list of All universities.pdf ) in Humanities (including languages) and Social Science, Computer Science & Applications, Electronic Science etc. (list of subjects of post-graduation attached at page No. 20) are eligible for this Test. The Other Backward Classes (OBC) belonging to non-creamy layer/Scheduled Caste (SC)/Scheduled Tribe(ST)/ persons with disability(PwD) category candidates who have secured at least 50% marks (without rounding off) in Master’s degree or equivalent examination are eligible for this Test.
- Candidates who are pursuing their Master’s degree or equivalent course or candidates who have appeared for their qualifying Master’s degree (final year) examination and whose result is still awaited or candidates whose qualifying examinations have been delayed may also apply for this test. However, such candidates will be admitted provisionally and shall be considered eligible for award of Junior Research Fellowship/eligibility for Assistant Professor only after they have passed their Master’s Degree OR equivalent examination with at least 55% marks (50% marks in case of OBC falling in Non Creamy layer/SC/ST/PwD (persons with disability)) category candidates. Such candidates must complete their Master’s degree or equivalent examination within two years from the date of NET result with required percentage of marks, failing which they shall be treated as disqualified.
- Candidates belonging to third gender in other words transgender would be eligible to Fellowship and Assistant Professor) as are available to SC/ST/PwD categories. The subject wise cut-offs for this category should be the lowest among those for SC/ST/PwD/OBC NCL categories in the corresponding subject.
- The Ph.D. degree holders whose Master’s level examination had been completed by 19th September 1991(irrespective of date of declaration of result) shall be eligible for a relaxation of 5% in aggregate marks (i.e. from 55% to 50%) for appearing in NET.
- Candidates are advised to appear in the subject of their post-graduation only. The candidates, whose post-graduation subject is not covered in the list of subjects in item No.14 (on page 12-13), may appear in a related subject.
- Candidates are neither required to send any certificates/documents in support of their eligibility nor printout of their Application Form (Confirmation Page) to CBSE.
However the candidates, in their own interest, must satisfy themselves about their eligibility for the Test. In the event of any ineligibility being detected by the UGC/CBSE at any stage, their candidature will be cancelled and they shall be liable for legal action.
- Candidates having post-graduate diploma/certificate awarded by Indian University/ Institute or foreign degree/diploma/certificate awarded by the foreign University/institute should in their own interest, ascertain the equivalence of their diploma/degree/certificate with Master’s degree of recognized Indian universities from Association of Indian Universities (AIU), New Delhi. ( www.aiu.ac.in )
EXEMPTION (ELIGIBILITY FOR ASSISTANT PROFESSOR)
- NET/SET/SLET shall remain the minimum eligibility condition for recruitment and appointment of Assistant Professors in Universities/Colleges/ Institutions. In this regard, exemption from NET/SET/SLET will be governed by UGC regulations and amendments notified in the Gazette of India from time to time.
- The candidates who have passed the UGC/CSIR JRF examination prior to 1989 are also exempted from appearing in NET.
- For SET Candidates: The candidates who have cleared the States Eligibility Test (SET) accredited by UGC for eligibility for Assistant Professor held prior to 1st June 2002, are exempted from appearing in NET, being eligible to apply for Assistant Professor anywhere in India. For SET held from 1st June 2002 onwards, the qualified candidates are eligible to apply for the post of Assistant Professor only in the universities/ colleges situated in the state from where they have cleared their SET.
Procedures for Enrolment in the NET & SET Guidance Centre, St. Xavier’s College
- For Enquiry interested candidates may call Office (033-2255-1228) from 30th April, 2019 onwards during 1 PM- 7PM (Except Monday & Tuesday).
- Online Applications begin from 8th MAY, 2019 and closes on 12th JUNE, 2019.
- Interested Candidates may apply ONLINE ( www.sxccal.edu ) by paying Rs. 500 as Application Fee.
|1st Date of Counselling :
||14th JUNE, 19 (FRIDAY)
||10 AM TO 1 PM
||NET and SET Guidance Centre (2nd Floor) , St. Xavier’s College (Autonomous), 30, Mother Teresa Sarani (Park Street) Kolkata- 700016.
NOTE: Applicants are required to bring their Age Proof Certificate, Post-Graduation Mark Sheet/Last Exam’s Mark Sheet and Online Fees Receipt on the date of Counseling. Original Documents regarding academic qualifications and others will be required at the time of admission.
Second Phase online Applications begin from 17th JUNE, 2019 and ends on 22nd JUNE, 2019.
For Candidates who are appearing for Post-Graduate Part II Examination, please follow the details :
|2nd Date of Counselling :
||25th JUNE, 19 (TUESDAY)
||11 AM TO 1 PM
||NET and SET Guidance Centre (2nd Floor) , St. Xavier’s
College (Autonomous), 30, Mother Teresa Sarani (Park
Street) Kolkata- 700016.
NOTE : Applicants are required to bring their Age Proof Certificate, Post-Graduation Part 1 Mark Sheet and Online Fees Receipt on the date of Counseling.
Original Documents regarding academic qualifications and others will be required at the time of admission.
Date of Inauguration of the course : 1st July, 2019.
Medium of Instruction
Classes will be held taking English as the mode of instruction.
The duration of the course is July 2019 to February 2020. (8 months excluding the month of Puja Holidays)
Subjects to be Offered :
The test will be held in the subjects as given under:
- Paper I
- Physical Sciences
- Life Science
- Computer Science
The course fee includes one book for the Common Paper 1, Study Materials and Mock tests (Starting from end of March 2019, targeting the exam of June, 2020).
The duration of the course is from August 2018 to March, 2019.
Fees for the Course
Course fee for only Paper 1 will be Rs. 15000. For Paper 2 Rs. 10000/- would be charged.
The First Installment to be given before joining the course. Second Installment to be given within the first week of joining.
No refund policy will be entertained.
Details of the Course
- Classes will commence on 1st July 2019 and will continue till 28th February 2020.
- The course fee includes one book for the Common Paper 1, Study Materials and Mock tests (Starting from December 2019).
- Classes will be held two to three days in a week excluding Sunday, Monday and Tuesday.
The list of Successful candidates from our First Batch is given below:
||Golam Ahsan Waresh
||NET and SET 2018
||Iffat Jahan Qaiser