Dear Students, Staff, Parents, Alumni/ae, Benefactors and Well Wishers,
A Christian Minority Higher Educational Institution, St. Xavier’s was founded in 1860 by a Catholic Minority Religious Body, the Society of Jesus, and was affiliated to the University of Calcutta in 1862. While preference is shown to the educational and cultural needs of the Christian Minority community and the poor i.e. socially and financially marginalized, admission is open to all irrespective of caste, creed and nationality. With a long and rewarding history of achievement of the Jesuits in education, our College community continues to move forward together with confidence, pride and enthusiasm. This institution was created with the objective of providing 360 degree quality education which will enable students not only to thrive in academics but also motivate them towards character building, leadership, extra and co-curricular activities. A very strong, dedicated and capable team of educators has always been the driving force in the growth of the College.
A host of seven Belgian Jesuits arrived at Calcutta in November 1859, under the leadership of Fr. H. Depelchin (Rector: 1860-1871), in the Founding Father of the second St. Xavier’s, They shifted St. Xavier’s from Chowringhee to the Sans Souci Theatre in January 1860, which is now the honest home of learned professors and zealous students.
With one hundred and sixty three years of service to the nation, St. Xavier’s College, Kolkata, has grown today into a leading educational institution in India. Both St. Xavier’s School and College are proud of their contribution to the cause of education and culture in Bengal for 163 years. These twin institutions have produced many great educationists and students who earned regard and respect for their Alma Mater.
Fr. E. Lafont was appointed Rector in October 1871, He was a gifted teacher of physics. The terrible cyclone of November 1864 proved the begging of his fame. The catastrophe might have been much greater, had not Fr. Lafont signaled the timely warning.
It was Fr. O’Neill (Rector: 1904-1913) who gave the College its crest and the motto: Nihil Ultra, a motto, significant and suggestive of a noble ideal, of an unconquerable hope, that urges the Xaverian to a consistent quest for the higher. The motto of the young
St. Xavier’s College is a 163 years old institution with rich heritage and long tradition.
As a Jesuit Higher Educational Institution, it aims to form men and women for others, with fundamental human and spiritual values.
The tiny seed has grown into a mighty tree from 83 students in 1860 to 8,635 students in January 2019.
The College functions in three shifts : morning, day and evening, offering UG and PG courses in Humanities, Science, Education, Commerce and Business Administration.